Sunday, February 14, 2010

Double Trouble

I'll never forget the day that I started thinking we were having twins. Because I had been taking fertility medicine I had to have a blood test from the doctor to confirm the pregnancy. I went and had the bloodwork done and then I went to Babies R Us with Mom, Dad and Kim. While we were in Babies R Us I called the doctor to get the results. The nurse said, "congratulations, you're pregnant."I was already certain that I was, but it was still nice to hear the confirmation. I asked her what the next step was and she said that in a couple of weeks I would have to have an ultrasound. I asked her if my numbers looked good from the bloodwork and she said, "oh yeah, they're REALLY good!" I hung up and then started thinking "I wonder what she meant by that!" I started telling Kim and my parents that I thought we would have twins. I think they thought I was nuts. I knew that if your numbers were high that could indicate multiples. Kim had her blackberry with her so she started researching (that's Kim for you!) She wanted to know exactly what my numbers were, but I hadn't thought to ask the nurse! I called back and said "when I was on the phone earlier you told me my numbers were really good, what exactly were the numbers?" She told me (I can't remember what they were, but I know they were high). I said "doesn't that indicate multiples?!" She laughed and said "yes it could, but it could also just indicate that you have a very healthy pregnancy." She also told me that because of the high numbers that's why they wanted me to come in soon for an ultrasound.

I couldn't wait to tell Joe! When I got home I told him of the possiblilty of twins. He said he didn't think we'd have twins. I already knew in my heart that we were having twins. I told him he better prepare himself! He said that while he only ever wanted two kids it would be okay if we had twins. The wait for the ultrasound was almost unbearable! Everyday Joe and I would talk about it!

On February 25, 2008 (Mom's birthday) we went for our ultrasound. We joked about the possiblities on the way there. As soon as Dr. Padilla started the ultrasound we hear him say "uh oh!" We looked at each other and said "uh oh, what?!" His exact response was "uh oh, I see two heartbeats!" I was exstatic! Joe's response was "we can't even agree on one name, how are we supposed to pick two?!" I couldn't help but laugh at him! Dr. Padilla assured us that both heartbeats were very strong and we got to see them on the screen! Oh the conversations we had on the way home! We were excited, nervous, worried, thrilled... all of the emotions you can imagine! I called everyone and said "the ultrasound went very well, the heartbeats were very strong." Most people's reactions were "did you say heartbeatS, with an S???" I said, "yep, we're having twins!"

And so the journey begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment